In May, the SQL Server conference SQLBits 8 took place in Brighton. Fusion-IO had sponsored the event and had initiated the first Crappy Code Games event. This consisted of 4 challenges designed to flex the IO of the Fusion-IO drives.
Prior to the Crappy Code Games final in Brighton there were 2 previous warm up events in Manchester and London, I attended the London event and entered one of the challenges; “Maximum number of transactions in a minute” and came third bagging myself a podium place and a Winmo phone.
Then came the final, which I actually couldn’t attend. I left a revised script file with @mdknee who entered it under my name, and later that night received a few tweets from the Fusion-IO representatives from the event.
Somehow, I’d managed to bag first prize which was a flight experience with 2 high performance aircraft.
Here’s a pic of me being presented with the award by Steve Woziak (I’m the piece of paper 🙂 )
And some links where i’m name checked
Having recently started putting community rom’s onto my Motorola Defy (tinkered with CyanogenMod and LiquidArc), I got a bit fed up with the LiquidArc rom and fancied a change; Queue the MIUI android rom.
I’m not going to go into the virtues of the rom, but needless to say it’s put my ICS angst on hold.
One issue i did come across was that Tasker wasn’t quite working correctly. Whenever it came to change the system volumes the correct changes never got applied. After googling it, there’s a few suggestions to change the “Third Party Access” setting in the call settings. However in version 1.11.18 this setting doesn’t appear.
The correct solution is that the version of Superuser in the rom is particularly keen to deny the AllowPhone state permission. All of the other versions of superuser that i’ve seen only control access to applications that specifically request root access. This version doesn’t seem to have that limitation.Explicitly allowing Tasker to “Monitor Calls” means that it’ll once again be able to control the volumes.
When dealing with XML in Visual Studio, it’s really nice debugging it. You hover over the variable and click XML Visualizer.
However, the same can’t be said for dealing with JSON. So I went searching the extension library in Visual Studio 2010 where I’ve got a plethora of other useful tools (mainly around syntax highlighting).. no dice.
A quick google later, and i’ve downloaded http://jsonviewer.codeplex.com/.
The files need to be copied to the following locations;
JsonVisualizer.dll – %USERPROFILE%My DocumentsVisual Studio 2010Visualizers
JsonViewer.dll – %ProgramFiles(x86)%Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0Common7IDE
Newtonsoft.Json.dll – – %ProgramFiles(x86)%Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0Common7IDE
i’ve now got a shiny new JSON viewer for debugging with.
Instantiating a new blog, now to actually do something with it.